- 16th August 2019
We caught up with Laura, one of our new ink mixers on the production team and asked her a few questions about her job here at BIDBI and some other funs ones.
1. What is your job and what do you do on an average day?
So, my job is to mix the inks for orders. When we receive an order the design team select the pantone which most closely matches the artwork. All of our ink colours are made to order so once the pantone has been selected, my job is to mix the ink ready to for screen printing.
2. What drew you to join BIDBI?
I have a creative and design background, so I really wanted a job that was in a creative position, and really like working with the inks mixing as the job is really varied and can be challenging and I’m always busy.
3. What’s your favourite print technique and why?
Screen printing definitely, because it always looks really artistic. The designs are strong and look like they’ve been done with design software which I really like.
4. What’s been your favourite bag that’s come through production?
I love any bag that comes through with an environmentally friendly message on. Also, we have recently had a gorgeous design with a dragon using golden glitter ink!
5. Have you learnt anything surprising since you started working here?
How difficult it is to get an exact colour shade! Earlier I mixed a mint green colour and 0.1 gram of the pigment made it look completely different. Accuracy is key!
6. What do you do to be more eco-friendly?
I’ve always reused bags and working here makes that so much easier when everyone around you is too! I try my best to use as little plastic as possible and I recycle where I can.
7. How do you spend your time when you’re not busy printing?
I like to chill out, and drawing and illustration, and recently I have been doing lots of clothing alterations
8. If you could choose to have 1 superpower what would it be?
Telekinesis, (moving things or myself). I would transport myself form place to place,(it’s more eco-friendly than driving) kind of like flying but I can also grab things without having to lift a finger!
9. If you could go for dinner with anyone dead or alive who would it be and what would you want to eat?
Costume designer Colleen Atwood. She’s a really famous costume designer for huge award-winning films like Memoirs of a Geisha, Alice in Wonderland and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, she’d have incredible stories (and gossip) from all the film sets. We’d definitely have to have tapas; I love having lots of little dishes.
10. Which animal would you say is your spirit animal?
A cat, because they like to eat and sleep, but have a few moments of pure energy when they go wild.
11. What is the dish you cook the best?
I cook a great lasagne, it’s simple to make and it’s so yummy
12. And to finish off, could you tell us a fun fact you’ve recently learnt?
Women are born with all their eggs already inside them!Tweet